Monday, September 28, 2009

Tao te Ching: 20

Abandon learning and there will be no sorrow.
How much difference is there between "Yes, sir," and
"Of course not"?
How much difference is there between "good" and "evil"?
What people dread, do not fail to dread.
But, alas, how confused, and the end is not yet.
The multitude are merry, as though feasting on a day of sacrifice,
Or like ascending a tower in the springtime.
I alone am inert, showing no sign (of desires),
Like an infant that has not yet smiled.
Wearied, indeed, I seem to be without a home.
The multitude all possess more than enough,
I alone seem to have lost all.
Mine is indeed the mind of an ignorant man,
Indiscriminate and dull!
Common folks are indeed brilliant;
I alone seem to be in the dark.
Common folks see differences and are clear-cut;
I alone make no distinctions.
I seem drifting as the sea;
Like the wind blowing about seemingly without destination.
The multitude all have a purpose;
I alone seem to be stubborn and rustic.
I alone differ from others,
And value drawing sustenance from Mother (Tao).
A Confucianist would never say this. They would sharply distinguish between good and evil and would never advocate abandoning learning. This seems anathema to me, one who likes to learn and test and distinguish but I think I understand what Lao Tzu is getting at here.

Education causes difference. It isn't simply the knowledge, but it fosters the have and have-not system. The better education you have, the better job you get. The better job you get, the better you can provide for your family. The better you provide for your family, the more you can give them including education. The converse is also true.

At the end of the day, does yes or no matter? At the end of the week, year, or decade? Good or evil is a stronger concept in most of our minds, yet we still do "good" and "evil" actions. What does this do to or for us in the long run? We have all done both.

Everyone has preconceptions and goals and ideals. Everyone follows common sense and tradition. Yet the sage does not. The sage makes on distinctions and draws only from the Tao and not from what others value or need.

No comments:

Post a Comment